Final Invitation: '19th Congress of IABSE Stockholm 2016:
Challenges in Design and Construction of an Innovative and Sustainable Built Environment'
The 19th Congress of IABSE 'Challenges in Design and Construction of an Innovative and Sustainable Built Environment' will be held from September21-23, 2016. It is organised by the Swedish Group of IABSE, in cooperation with The Swedish Transport Administration and The Swedish Professionals for the Built Environment with Mats Karlsson as Chair of the Organising Committee and Lennart Elfgren as Chair of the Scientific Committee.
The main theme ‘Challenges in Design and Construction of an Innovative and Sustainable Built Environment’ is presently a highly topical theme. The economic growth of the global community in combination with the increasing population worldwide results in a higher consumption of all kinds of resources. During the last year we also witnessed an increasing number of refugees which leaves both society and infrastructure with an enormous challenge. At the same time we must not forget the global communities’ challenge to reduce the use of resources and reach a sustainable development and create an environmentally friendly way of living. Structural and civil engineers have an important role to play in confronting these great challenges.
The Programme will include parallel scientific sessions as well as technical sessions and industrial sessions. Poster sessions will be organised in an electronic format. Topics are related to both fundamentals and applications in a global theme context:
• Flexible, human friendly and traffic efficient structures
• Cost efficiency in design and construction
• Contracts and the procurement process
• Digitalisation as an enabler in the construction industry
• Low-intrusive construction and maintenance
• Safety of temporary structures
• Strengthening and retrofitting of aging infrastructure
• Confidence in implementing innovations
• Practical use of multi-criteria decision making through big data
• Structural safety and risk assessment; systems in different countries
• Product Category Rules (PCR) as a base for Environmental Product Declarations (EPD)
• General or other challenges in design and construction
• Forensic engineering
Early Bird registration fees are offered until June 15, 2016.
More information: www.iabse.org/Stockholm2016
The International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE) founded in 1929, operates on a worldwide basis and deals with all aspects of planning, design, construction, maintenance and repair of civil engineering structures. The mission of IABSE is to exchange knowledge and to advance the practice of structural engineering worldwide in the service of the profession and society. To fulfil its mission, IABSE organises conferences and publishes a high quality journal, Structural Engineering International (SEI); publishes books reflecting the work of its Technical Groups; creates Working Groups, as required by new needs and technological progress; offers activities within National Groups of IABSE; supports Young Engineers with a programme, and presents annual Awards in recognition of outstanding achievements in structural Engineering.